Sunday, March 7, 2010

R-Pattz Confesses: "I Didn't Want To Do Twilight"

The role of Edward Cullen may have brought Robert Pattinson fame and fortune, but the actor has admitted that the idea of starring in Twilight didn't appeal to him at first. In fact, he only auditioned to appease his agent.

"At first I didn’t want to do a movie like Twilight," said the actor in a recent interview with the Daily Mail. "I specifically hadn’t done anything that anyone would see since Harry Potter, because I wanted to teach myself how to act. I was going to wait for another year to do two or three more little things and then do something bigger. Twilight came kind of randomly.


"They actually asked me to take my shirt off at the audition," he added. "I thought, if that’s the criteria, then you’ve got the wrong guy. I knew about the audition five months beforehand, but I didn’t want to bother getting a six-pack or doing much else at all in preparation – but looking back, I might have combed my hair. I thought that I had to be this bland guy with his shirt off who people just project ideas onto. At first I thought to play Edward in an interesting way was totally impossible."

Thankfully, for the thousands of Twihards out there, Robert changed his mind about the role when he read New Moon - ironically, a book that his character doesn't feature in much at all.

"I understood Edward much more in the second one than in the first. New Moon is about his being compelled to do the wrong thing, and I understand that a lot – especially when it comes to relationships.

"Edward makes a mistake in New Moon that’s acknowledged by everybody, including himself. He’s totally undermined physically and emotionally and so is much more humanised. In the first one, he’s still an idealistic character from beginning to end.


"In New Moon, he’s more the hero of the story who refuses to accept that he’s the hero. I think that’s kind of admirable. Once you’re immune to failure, nothing matters. I saw that after being the hot thing for a few months after Harry Potter; it calms down until no one cares. It helps knowing that pretty soon, no one will care."

The actor went on to explain how he feels having firmly placed at the top of the A-List alongside co-star and current squeeze Kristen Stewart.

"I know I’m the luckiest guy on Earth, but I’m not massively concerned about doing lots of acting jobs," he said. "If it all just went away, right now, I’d think, 'All right. I don’t really care.' That’s probably a daft thing to say. But I think it’d be much worse to do a load of stuff that’s really awful. Because then you can’t go into another career. The only thing I want from anything is to not be embarrassed."


And what happens when the Twilight trilogy is over? "I don’t know. It scares me a little. Sometimes when I go to meetings for other projects, people only seem interested in the union of Edward Cullen and me. But if the role interests me and it can bring the public from Twilight into the cinema, then we’ve cracked it."

Somehow, we doubt R-Pattz will be disappearing from the big screen any time soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive